White plantation shutters have been a classic in homes across the United States for years. These window treatments are prized for their energy efficiency, light control and clean lines that flatter a wide range of home styles. Additionally, white goes with everything, even as décor tastes evolve over the years.
With white window treatments, it’s natural to be concerned that the sun may discolor them. This is particularly true if your home endures intense sunlight or faces south. It’s important to know that not all window treatments are constructed the same. And that certain plantation shutters are more vulnerable to yellowing than others. Here’s why.
Why Plantation Shutters Turn Yellow
The sun’s ultraviolet rays are responsible for giving you harmful sunburns. They’re also responsible for discoloring your white plantation shutters, especially if you have cheap or overseas-made shutters. These harmful rays can wear down the protective coating over time. Once the coating is gone, the sun may weaken the paint and cause it to become yellow.
Consistent cleaning will help keep your shutters looking their best. But once they start turning yellow, there isn’t much you can do to fix it. The best way to keep your shutters from yellowing is to take advantage of high-quality options that are custom made for your home.
Why Cheap Plantation Shutters Are More Susceptible to Yellowing and Other Issues
Like most other things you buy for your home, you get what you pay for when it comes to window treatments. Here’s why cheap or off-the-shelf plantation shutters aren’t as good an investment as they initially appear to be.
- They might not fit your windows very well. For ideal energy efficiency and light control, plantation shutters need to fit seamlessly against the window frame. Cheaper plantation shutters are frequently not a good fit, and your efficiency and light management might as a result.
- They’re constructed from poor materials. Cheaper plantation shutters are reliant on low-quality materials, such as vinyl and composite, and are often hollow. Alongside yellowing, they can also be more vulnerable|exposed|susceptible]512] to warping, fracture or breaking off into splinters.
- They’re painted with low-quality paint. Poor-quality paint often contains volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These chemicals can be emitted by your shutters over time, producing headaches and eye and nasal irritation in many people. It’s also beneficial to know that poor-quality paint doesn’t always come with a protective UV coating, which can speed up the yellowing process.
- They’re made overseas. You never know what kind of quality you will get with plantation shutters that are shipped from overseas. They are often lower quality than ones that are made in the U.S..
- They may need constant maintenance. Cheap plantation shutters often need frequent maintenance if pieces come loose or louvers begin to droop. On some occasions, you may not be able to reverse sagging louvers if your shutters don’t use tension screws.
- They don’t include a warranty.
Louver Shop of Jacksonville Plantation Shutters Are Guaranteed Against Yellowing and Other Problems
At Louver Shop of Jacksonville, we’ve been building our company on quality plantation shutters for some time. Here’s why investing in our shutters is a great decision for your home.
- Our plantation shutters are customized for your home. No two homes or windows are identical, and your window treatments ought to reflect that. We begin our process with a free, in-home consultation so you can review all your options in detail. From material to louver size and frame style, you’ll have the chance to fully custom-create your plantation shutters. And with our free professional measurements and free standard installation, you’re guaranteed to get a perfect fit with your new shutters.
- Our plantation shutters are made from top-notch materials. Whether you pick our polymer LouverWood® shutters for top energy efficiency or Heritage shutters for the most timeless look, you’re getting window treatments made from premium materials. We utilize an exclusive polymer and furniture-grade hardwoods in our shutters that not only look good but hold up for years.
- Our plantation shutters are colored with exclusive paints. Louver Shop of Jacksonville plantation shutters are finished with proprietary water-based paints. These paints are safer for you and your family since they’re nontoxic and low in VOCs. They’re also resistant against fading and yellowing.
- Our plantation shutters are made in the USA. We manufacture your custom shutters domestically in Gainesville, Georgia. Not only are they higher quality, this means you’ll also obtain them much sooner, typically within a few weeks.
- Our plantation shutters are low maintenance. Our shutters are easy to clean and won’t need to be tightened.
- Our plantation shutters are protected by one of the best limited warranties. Louver Shop of Jacksonville plantation shutters are guaranteed against some of the most common issues, including yellow, fading, cracking, peeling, sagging and warping. They also include a lifetime limited warranty on moving parts, workmanship and the painted finish.
Start Designing Your Custom Plantation Shutters with Louver Shop of Jacksonville Today
Plantation shutters are an investment in your home. Finding the right ones means you’ll enjoy beautiful shutters for years with worry-free performance. With your vision and our expertise, you’re certain to create window treatments you’ll love. Begin elevating your home with Louver Shop of Jacksonville by requesting your free, in-home consultation today! Call us at 888-428-1415 to schedule your appointment now.